Home of Ealing Council’s magazine for residents

Man and a woman standing in front of a hoarding at a building site

More than 100 new genuinely affordable homes

Ealing Council and its subsidiary housing developer Broadway Living RP have started work on a series of new projects to build 109 new genuinely affordable homes at six sites across the borough.

The homes, which will be let at London Affordable Rent, are being built as part of the council’s pledge to deliver more than 2,500 new genuinely affordable homes by May 2022.

In total, there will be 145 new homes built at these six sites, of which 75% will be available as genuinely affordable tenures or as shared ownership. The remaining 25% homes will be sold on the open market to help offset costs.  

Five sites have now been handed over to building contractor Henry Construction:

  • Dean Gardens and Maitland Yard, West Ealing – 53 new homes, a new public car park and a commercial unit.
  • Chesterton Close and Evesham Close, Greenford – 25 homes.
  • Norwood Road, Southall – six houses.
  • Shackleton Road, Southall – 10 homes.
  • Wood End, Northolt – 11 homes and a community facility.

A sixth site, Buckingham Avenue in Perivale, has been handed over to contractor Bugler, which has been tasked with building 40 new homes, a community facility and a new car park for existing residents of the estate.   

Safe, comfortable homes

Delivery of the new homes is targeted for mid-2023. They are being partly funded by an £10.4million grant from the Greater London Authority (GLA), which will ensure that the council and Broadway Living can continue building genuinely affordable flats and houses over the next five years.

Two-thirds of the of the new homes are being built to Passivhaus standards to reduce energy consumption, address fuel poverty and help meet the council’s commitment to deliver net zero carbon homes.

Councillor Lauren Wall, Ealing Council’s lead member for genuinely affordable homes, said: “These fantastic new homes will offer more local families a safe, comfortable roof over their heads.

“London’s affordable housing crisis means that just 10% of private rented homes in Ealing are within the budgets of local people on low incomes. Although we are on track to smash our target of delivering 2,500 new homes for social let by May, there is more work to do. With 11,700 families waiting for a council home in the borough, it is essential that go even further with our homebuilding programme, which is already one of the largest in London, and continue developing modern, sustainable homes long into the future.”

Award-winning housing development

Broadway Living is Ealing Council’s award-winning, wholly-owned affordable housing development company. The council was one of the first local authorities in the country to create a company tasked with building sustainable, high-quality homes on its behalf, which local people can afford.

Philip Browne is the managing director of Broadway Living. He said: “By reinvesting profits from sales and shared ownership homes into delivering more genuinely affordable homes to let, Broadway Living is playing a vital role in tackling the affordable housing crisis in Ealing. With more than 1,300 affordable homes in our pipeline already, and access to land which could support thousands more in the longer term, we are confident that we can help supply the high-quality, energy-efficient homes that Ealing needs for decades to come.”

The six developments

Share with

Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin

You may also like

Editor's Pick

Advertising

MOST READ

Subscribe to our newsletter

It is simple to register to receive fortnightly email updates from Around Ealing Extra

Translate »