A health campaign called One You Ealing has been helping hundreds of people change their lifestyles.
The NHS spends £11billion a year on treating avoidable conditions and around 40% of all deaths in England are related to habits such as smoking, eating too much unhealthy food, and inactivity.
Ealing Council joined forces this year with West London Mental Health Trust and Public Health England to set up One You Ealing. It was officially launched at Ealing Town Hall in July but programmes connected to it had started running in April.
Since then, 568 people have set dates to work towards to give up smoking through One You Ealing, half of whom have already managed to completely stop.
The Department of Health defines someone as quitting once they have ceased smoking for four weeks. But the One You Ealing campaign provides support over an eight-week period. It also carries out regular follow-up calls – with a 12-week status check to confirm smoking has completely stopped.
Meanwhile, One You Ealing has also been helping hundreds more people through the following measures:
- Childhood obesity – 21 children have reduced their body mass index (BMI) thanks to a free healthy lifestyle programme which supports them to become fitter and healthier
- Healthy walks – 1,654 people throughout the borough have signed up to take part in short walks to stay active
- Health trainers – 657 people have received a one-to-one service to help make changes to their lifestyle
- English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) classes have helped people improve their ability to read food and medicine labels, and to talk to health professionals and understand their advice
- Tuberculosis (TB) awareness – 50 health professionals have received training on managing TB patients, and a further 272 people have attended sessions on TB awareness.
The One You Ealing campaign is continuing and you can find out how to get help or advice below.
Online health quiz
An online health quiz has been created by One You, which is called How Are You? and it provides a practical way for you to identify risks in your lifestyle. It gives personalised advice to help you take action where it is most needed.
Find out more
To see what other help and advice is available locally visit www.ealing.gov.uk/oneyou
On 28 September, the West London Mental Health Trust will host advisers and health trainers from One You Ealing at Hounslow Civic Centre. Anyone is welcome to go along between 6-8pm to get free advice on blood pressure, smoking, exercise and healthy eating.