Home of Ealing Council’s magazine for residents

Close this search box.
Thamel Bar & Grill

Northolt business prosecuted due to rodent activity

Ealing Council has taken legal action against a Northolt restaurant, Thamel Bar and Grill, after council officers from the food and workplace safety team found them breaking the law.

The Director of the business, Vijay Rai, pleaded guilty on 29 October 2018 for two offences under the Food Safety Food (Hygiene) Regulations 2006 for failing to keep the premises clean and failed to have adequate procedures to control pests.

Mr Rai also pleaded guilty for offences under Health Act 2006 for failing to prevent people from smoking in the premises and failed to display smoking signs. Mr Rai received fines totalling £4000 and was ordered to pay the Councils costs of £914.

Evidence of kitchen appliance not cleaned up to compliance level.

Council officers first checked compliance at the business on 18 April 2018 after complaints had been received alleging smoking was taking place inside and licensing conditions were being ignored.

Initial checks found evidence of poor cleaning and rodent activity throughout the area including the main kitchen. An officer also discovered persons smoking in an enclosed area with no attempts being made to stop smoking; additionally, ‘no smoking’ signs were not displayed.

The council understands the business has now ceased trading after making several attempts to inspect the business.

As part of the regular inspections throughout the borough, council officers carry out unannounced visits to check compliance and respond to service requests and complaints.

Councillor Joanna Camadoo, cabinet member for community safety and inclusion, said: “Our officers work closely with local businesses, providing advice to help them operate within the law and deliver a well-run and safe service.

Evidence of failing to display smoking signs.

“Food hygiene, licensing and smoking compliance is vitally important. Businesses that fail to meet these legal requirements won’t be tolerated. Thamel Bar and Grill failed to show due care and concern for safety and we’re pleased to see a fine being handed down to them. It shows that both the council and the courts are serious about enforcement and punishing those who openly break the rules.”

The council’s regulatory services team advise food businesses to regularly check that cleaning standards and licensing are being maintained and food safety procedures are implemented at all times.

Customers can check the food hygiene rating of their favourite restaurant or takeaway on www.food.gov.uk. More information about the food hygiene is available by calling 020 8825 6666 or emailing foodsafety@ealing.gov.uk.

Share with

You may also like

Editor's Pick

The Hanwell Hootie is back for the 11th time on Saturday 11 May. This time it is a little different to usual, but will still …


Subscribe to our newsletter

It is simple to register to receive fortnightly email updates from Around Ealing Extra

Translate »