Cllr Munir Ahmed was formally elected the new Mayor of Ealing at last night’s Full Council Annual General Meeting (Tuesday, 18 May).
As Mayor, Cllr Ahmed will undertake all civic ceremonial duties within the borough. This includes attendance at the Remembrance Day Service, granting of Freedom of the Borough and greeting visiting members of the royal family. He will also chair meetings of the full council.
He has served the borough for seven years since 2014, representing Perivale Ward.
The Worshipful the Mayor of the London Borough of Ealing, Cllr Munir Ahmed said: “It is a privilege and an honour to serve as the Mayor of this wonderful borough and I cannot wait to get started.
“There is incredibly diverse and vibrant community in Ealing and, in my role as mayor, I look forward to getting to know more about the borough and the people who live here.
“It has been an incredibly difficult period for all of us recently as we continue to recover from the pandemic, but our local communities and businesses are strong and resilient and I will support them as wherever possible as part of my civic duties.”
The new Mayor’s charity for 2021/22 will be Home Start Ealing, a local charity which has provided invaluable support and friendship to families in the Ealing area since 1996 and has achieved positive outcomes for hundreds of families living in the community.
At the meeting, Councillor Cllr Mohinder Midha has been appointed Deputy Mayor. Cllr Peter Mason was also elected as Leader of Ealing Council and announced his new cabinet:
- Councillor Deirdre Costigan, deputy leader and member for climate action
- Councillor Steve Donnelly, member for inclusive economy
- Councillor Bassam Mahfouz, member for decent living incomes
- Councillor Lauren Wall, member for genuinely affordable homes
- Councillor Shital Manro, member for good growth
- Councillor Jasbir Anand, member for thriving communities
- Councillor Kamaljit Kaur Nagpal, member for fairer start
- Councillor Aysha Raza, member for tackling inequality
- Councillor Josh Blacker, member for healthy lives