The council’s employment, learning and skills team has teamed up with Greener Ealing limited (GEL), the borough’s waste and recycling contractor, to help train Ealing residents to become HGV drivers and secure well-paid employment.
GEL has designed an HGV driver training programme, to be delivered by Ealing Council’s adult learning between 13 September and 11 October 2021. As part of the training you will:
- Gain the necessary knowledge and skills to become an HGV driver
- Get HGV driver training and an HGV licence funded through the council
- Have a progression interview at Greener Ealing during the week commencing 27 September to discuss employment opportunities at GEL.
Who is the HGV driver programme for?
To take part in the HGV training programme, you need to be:
- An Ealing resident who is either unemployed or at risk of becoming unemployed
- Over 19 years old
- Living in the UK or the EEA for the last three consecutive years
- The holder of a full, valid, driving licence, with no more than six penalty points.
Women are under-represented in the waste and recycling industry and applications from them are particularly welcome.
How is the training being delivered?
The programme will take place online on Zoom or Google Classroom and will require six hours of your time per week.
What does the training include?
The training has been designed to ensure that you receive the same key information quickly and in a structured way, to help you better understand the everyday requirements of being an HGV driver. Modules will include:
- Communication, maths and digital skills
- Team leading
- Conflict resolution
- Customer service
- Confidence building
- Test and interview techniques.
Already have an HGV licence?
If you already have an HGV licence but you are unemployed or simply want to change your job, get in touch for the fast-track training.
Get in touch
Call on 020 8825 8486 – Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm or email us.